Raspberry summer fruiting Glen Ample (Rubus idaeus Glen Ample)
When choosing varieties of raspberries for growing, gardeners pay attention to such parameters as large-fruited, yield, taste, as well as resistance to frost and disease. All this combines the Scottish variety Glen Ampl. You can get acquainted with the detailed description and tips for growing this variety in this article.
Raspberry varieties Glen Ampl
Glen Ampl or Glen Ampl (Rubus idaeus Glen Ample) - a young variety, bred in 1996. It is believed that very little time has passed since its appearance, however, it has already managed to become one of the most popular varieties in the UK and gradually its fame spread to Europe.
Shrubs Glen Prozen and Meker became parents. This experiment was immediately successful, because Glen Ampl collected all the best features from his parents. Glen Prozen gave him the complete absence of thorns and endurance, and Meker - high productivity and strong growth.
Appearance, size and type of berries, productivity
Bushes of this variety are often called raspberry trees. This happens because Glen Ampl has straight powerful stems that reach a height of 3.5 m. Rigid stems are also unusually thick, which causes associations with pillars of trees. However, this, of course, is a fallacy - Glen Ampl is a raspberry bush.
Before the first fruiting, the bush develops very quickly, the root system and shoots are quickly strengthened, up to 30 lateral branches are formed (the so-called fruit branches with leaves and inflorescences that appear on two-year-old shoots).
An important feature of the variety is that it does not form thorns at all, which greatly facilitates harvesting.
Fruits grow large (up to 10 g). They have a very attractive and aesthetic shape, for which gardeners are very fond of them. The color of the berries is bright red, and during the period of full ripeness it becomes dark crimson. The pulp is juicy, it tastes more sweet than sour. If during cultivation the goal is to achieve a sweet and sour taste, then it is better to collect the fruits slightly ripened.
Important! Additional pollination by bees can increase the productivity of the bushes to 100%.
No matter how good the variety itself is, it is not possible to get a good harvest from it without proper care. Although Glen Ampl and unpretentious in terms of cultivation, some rules must still be followed. You will learn about all the features of growing and caring for him below.
The choice of site for planting should be approached responsibly. Raspberries require compliance with these rules:
- Space. When choosing a site for raspberries, it is worth considering that the bushes of this variety are very tall and lush. This means that they will need more space than other plants. It is necessary to calculate the space so that between the bushes there is a distance of at least 50 cm. Often, gardeners seek to save territory in order to plant as many plants as possible. This approach is fundamentally wrong. Thicken planting provokes many diseases, and also limits the amount of air and light that plants need. The pursuit of quantity is directly proportional able to reduce quality.
- Shine. For a good harvest, bushes need a lot of light. In shaded and damp places, productivity drops to the complete absence of fruiting. When choosing a site, you should pay attention to that tall trees and structures are not located next to future plantings. A large deciduous layer forms on shrubs and trees in the summer seasons, so the shadow area will be even larger. Nothing should interfere with the flow of light.However, it is best to plan plantings so that direct rays of the sun fall on the bushes only in the morning.
- Landscape. Slopes up to 5 ° have proven themselves best. Under such conditions, an outflow of cold air occurs, which allows the bushes not to freeze in the winter. You can not place raspberries on steep slopes, in depressions, lowered and elevated areas. If there is no way to plant seedlings on a small slope, then a flat area is also suitable.
- Humidity. When growing any fruit crops, you should definitely pay attention to this indicator. In the place where the Glen Ampl plantings will be located, the groundwater level should not exceed 1.5 m from the soil surface. This is due to the fact that the raspberry root system does not tolerate such high humidity. High humidity will accelerate the aging and wilting of the bush, as well as freezing in winter. Best of all, if there is a river or a reservoir near the site, so the temperature fluctuations will be softened, the general air humidity will increase.
- Wind. Drafts always negatively affect plant health. They dry their ground parts, cause them to freeze, interfere with pollination and vegetation. Wind protection is an integral part of landings. As her, you can use artificial shelters or protective landings.
Glen Ampl feels good on almost any fertile soil. Heavy and clay soils have shown themselves worst of all. Best of all are loamy and loamy sand. Acidity should be low or neutral. The optimal level is 5.6–6.5 pH. If there is a need to reduce the acidity of the soil, then it is better to take care of this a year before planting raspberries and neutralize with chalk or dolomite flour.
Landing and care
Planting this variety is not much different from others. Usually it is carried out in the spring or in the fall. Experienced gardeners recommend doing this all the same in the fall, in September or October. It is during this period that the most pleasant temperature and weather conditions are formed.Before planting, the soil must be dug up and fertilizer applied. Under such conditions, the risk that the seedlings do not take root is extremely small. When planting seedlings in autumn, it is recommended to complete this procedure several weeks before the soil begins to freeze. On an industrial scale, this will be about 50 t / ha of manure.
The landing process itself looks like this:
- For each bush, a recess is excavated in the soil up to 30 cm deep and 60 cm wide. Such proportions are necessary because the raspberry root system is not deep and grows in breadth. The distance between the pits should be at least 50 cm, and between the rows about 2.5 m.
- After this, the seedlings need to be put in the pits, straighten the roots and cover with earth.
- After landing, they must be cut so that they are no more than 30 cm in height.
- Seedlings immediately need to be watered abundantly. If there is no rainfall for several days, then a second watering will be required.
Proper care is the key to healthy bushes and a good harvest. Glen Ampl will not cause the gardener much trouble, as it is easy to care for.
- Top dressing. If fertilizers were introduced into the soil during planting, then in the first two years of growth of bushes, fertilizers are not needed. Usually, supplements begin to be applied from the third year. So during the year, top dressing is carried out twice - in the spring (at the end of March) and in the fall (after fruiting). Raspberries respond well to urea (5 g) diluted in a bucket of water.
- Watering. Due to the fact that the bushes spend a large amount of energy on the growth and formation of large fruits, they need regular watering. Gardeners recommend saving time and installing automatic irrigation systems along plantings. They can also fertilize bushes. In early summer, raspberries of the Glen Ampl variety require up to 30–40 L of water per 1 bush every day.
Important! Excessive watering or prolonged rains during the ripening period can negatively affect their taste. Berries in this case become watery and lose their sweetness.
Pest and Disease Control
Glen Ampl has a good resistance to disease. Experts evaluate the immunity of this variety in 8 out of 10 points. So he is not affected by diseases such as:
- fungal diseases.
However, the bushes are vulnerable to diseases such as:
- viral diseases;
- powdery mildew;
Knowing the weaknesses of the variety, it is necessary to familiarize yourself with the signs of the disease and methods of control:
- Powdery mildew. A light coating appears on the berries and leaves, similar to a cobweb or sprinkled flour. Berries lose their shape and become inedible. For treatment, biofungicides should be used (Fitosporin-M, Planriz, Gamair, etc.). For the best effect, you can use the chemicals "Topaz", "Bayleton", "Quadris". However, it should be borne in mind that these are far from harmless substances.
Rust. Yellow-orange formations on the leaves, gray ulcers on the stems. The treatment will be the use of chemical fungicides Poliram DF, Kuproksat, Bordeaux liquid.
In order not to have to treat plants, it is necessary to immediately observe preventive measures:
- plant only healthy seedlings bought in the nursery;
- regularly remove weeds and affected stems;
- observe the distance between the bushes;
- Harvest on time.
As a pest prevention, you need to regularly loosen the soil in plants, cut off biennial shoots and older, as well as elementarily inspect the bushes for signs of disease or insect damage. When loosening the soil, the main thing is not to deepen, the permissible level is up to 10 cm. If larvae or eggs of insects are noticed, then you can douse this soil with boiling water, cooled to + 85 ° C.
Although the stems of Glen Ampl are thick and strong, they still need supporting structures. This is due to the fact that gusts of wind can damage such tall bushes, and also when the crop is too large, the branches can not withstand its weight.A large number of reviews indicates that in dealing with this variety it is better to use the spiral trellis method.
Its installation looks like this:
- They put a trellis up to 200 cm high. One first shoot is tied to it.
- The next one is led outside the row, twisted around the wire in a spiral and bent under the first.
- Thus, all other shoots are fixed.
This method has many advantages. He saves the gardener time, that is, he does not need to tie up all the shoots separately. With such a garter, each plant will have enough space and easier harvesting. There is no need to tie up the fruit branches themselves.
Pruning and wintering
Shrub pruning is carried out twice a year - in spring and autumn. Autumn pruning prepares the plant for winter, it is necessary to carry out this procedure before the onset of cold weather. The best month is October. Spring allows raspberries to accumulate and direct all forces to the development of fruits.
The whole trimming process can be divided into the following stages:
- First you need to remove the dry shoots that have already proclaimed. Cut them to the root, leaving no stumps. Also, if necessary, you can cut off too young shoots, which does not make sense to leave for the winter.
- The strongest shoots should remain in the bush. They are shortened to 30 cm.
- If the bush has grown, then you can reduce the number of shoots.
Before wintering, you need to cut off all the leaves from the bush. However, this procedure must be carried out very carefully, you can not damage the green kidneys. After this, the shoots are bent to the soil using a wire. This will allow the bushes not to freeze. Many gardeners also advise mulching the soil for the winter, this will prevent excessive evaporation of moisture and freezing of the root system.
Mulching is the process of sheltering soil in plants with organic materials or agrofibre. Hay, compost, needles, sawdust, foliage, etc. have proven themselves well as mulch. The layer of mulch should not exceed 10-15 cm, otherwise this will cause debate, after which the bush may die.Also during the winter, mulch should be ted from time to time.
Harvesting and transportation
Glen Ample ripening begins in July and lasts about a month. Depending on weather conditions, these periods may vary. The ripeness of the berries is determined by their color. Light and bright red color indicates that the berry is still not ripe, but in this form it is already suitable for food. If the gardener wants to achieve a more acidic taste, it is recommended to harvest in this form. Completely ripened berries acquire a dark raspberry color.
Here are some tips for harvesting raspberries:
- collection should be done with gloves;
- as a container, it is better to use boxes or baskets, but in no case packages;
- collection is best done in sunny weather without precipitation;
- fold raspberries in 4-6 rows;
- it is not recommended to keep the picked berries in the sun, they should be delivered as soon as possible to a shaded room.
Did you know? Eating fresh raspberries will help get rid of a hangover thanks to the fruit acids they contain.
Thanks to the dense skin, raspberries of the Glen Ampl variety tolerate transportation well, which allows it to be successfully used for commercial purposes. It is recommended to sell or use freshly picked raspberries as soon as possible, i.e. at a temperature of + 20 ° C it is able to retain freshness for only 8 hours.
Shelf life can be extended by storage in the refrigerator or complete freezing.
The new Scottish variety Glen Ampl so far is rarely found in Russian gardens, but the situation is gradually changing. No wonder he conquered European gardeners with his virtues - it is easy to grow it both in a private small garden and on hectares of industrial area. Follow the simple rules of planting and care, and soon raspberries will delight you with a rich harvest.
Glen Ample has large, solid, bright red berries with an average weight of 3.9g. It is considered the most popular variety in Europe. Shoots up to 3.5m high. with huge fruiting potential, without thorns. According to our own experience, each shoot contains 20-30 laterals with 18-20 berries on each. The yield from each shoot is 1.2-1.6 kg. berries. Industrial productivity at landing 3m. between rows 22t. with ha. Last winter suffered generally without loss.